Western Australian State Amateur Brewing Competition 2023 Info
Account RegistrationRegistrations for judges and stewards only accepted through Saturday 30 September, 2023 11:59 PM, AWST.
Entry registration is closed.
Entrants are responsible for selecting the correct Categories and Styles and abiding by the section conditions and published deadlines.
- The competition is open to amateur brewers only.
- This is restricted to non-commercial and/or home brewers who produce beer that have not been brewed on premises licensed as a commercial brewery. Beers produced from extract kits and wort kits are welcome.
- Entries must be submitted under the Brewer’s contact name.
- Entries must feature a name no longer than six (6) words. Entry names over this length, or entry names submitted with offensive language will not be accepted.
- There is a limit of 2 entries per Category, and one entry per Style (eg. you can enter two Stouts Category 11, but they must be two different Styles such as a 11.1 Sweet Stout and a 11.3 Oatmeal Stout. Two Sweet Stouts is not permitted).
- All entries must be submitted online via https://competition.wasabc.org/
- No entry will be accepted until the entry fee is received in full.
- THERE WILL BE NO CATEGORY OR STYLE TRANSFERS MADE BY JUDGES OR STEWARDS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. It is the Entrant's responsibility to enter the entry in the correct Category and Style.
- An Entrant who breaches any rules or Section Condition may be disqualified or suspended for any period of time.
- WASABC committee may, at its sole discretion, withdraw, reject or disqualify an entry.
- WASABC may at any time change the terms within this schedule without notice.
- By entering this competition, your name and beer score may be available/displayed through the AABC (Australian Amateur Brewing Competition) website.
- WASABC assumes NO LIABILITY for any entries into this competition due to the volunteer nature of the committee and competition. NO refunds will be available. All entries submitted into this competition are subject to this term and all competitors that submit entries into this competition submit entries knowing these terms.
- Entry fees will not be refunded if you do not submit your beer.
- Bottles will not be returned to entrants.
AABC 2022 Judging Styles
If a style's name is hyperlinked, it has specific entry requirements. Select or tap on the name to view the subcategory's requirements.
|1.1 Berliner Weisse [BJCP 23A]||1.2 Scottish Light [BJCP 14A]||1.3 Scottish Heavy [BJCP 14B]|
|1.4 American Light Lager [BJCP 1A]||1.5 London Brown Ale; Historical Beer [BJCP 27]||1.6 Dark Mild [BJCP 13A]|
|1.7 German Leichtbier [BJCP 5A]||1.8 Czech Pale Lager [BJCP 3A]||1.9 Ordinary Bitter [BJCP 11A]|
|1.10 Piwo Grodziskie; Historical Beer [BJCP 27]||2.1 American Lager [BJCP 1B]||2.2 International Pale Lager [BJCP 2A]|
|2.3 Munich Helles [BJCP 4A]||2.4 Helles Exportbier (Dortmunder) [BJCP 5C]||2.5 Pre-Prohibition Lager; Historical Beer [BJCP 27]|
|2.6 German Pils [BJCP 5D]||2.7 Czech Premium Pale Lager (Boh. Pils) [BJCP 3B]||2.8 Festbier [BJCP 4B]|
|3.1 International Amber Lager [BJCP 2B]||3.2 Czech Amber Lager [BJCP 3C]||3.3 International Dark Lager [BJCP 2C]|
|3.4 Munich Dunkel [BJCP 8A]||3.5 Vienna Lager [BJCP 7A]||3.6 Märzen [BJCP 6A]|
|3.7 Czech Dark Lager [BJCP 3D]||3.8 Schwarzbier [BJCP 8B]||3.9 Rauchbier [BJCP 6B]|
|3.10 Kellerbier; Historical Beer [BJCP 27]||4.1 Cream Ale [BJCP 1C]||4.2 Blonde Ale [BJCP 18A]|
|4.3 Kölsch [BJCP 5B]||4.4 Belgian Pale Ale [BJCP 24B]||4.5 Australian Sparkling Ale [BJCP 12B]|
|4.6 British Golden Ale [BJCP 12A]||4.7 New Zealand Pilsner [BJCP X5]||4.8 Belgian Blond Ale [BJCP 25A]|
|5.1 American Pale Ale [BJCP 18B]||6.1 English IPA [BJCP 12C]||6.2 American IPA [BJCP 21A]|
|6.3 Double IPA [BJCP 22A]||7.1 Hazy IPA [BJCP 21C]||7.3 Belgian IPA, Specialty IPA [BJCP 21B]|
|7.4 Black IPA, Specialty IPA [BJCP 21B]||7.5 Brown IPA, Specialty IPA [BJCP 21B]||7.6 Red IPA, Specialty IPA [BJCP 21B]|
|7.7 Rye IPA, Specialty IPA [BJCP 21B]||7.8 White IPA, Specialty IPA [BJCP 21B]||7.9 Brut IPA, Specialty IPA [BJCP 21B]|
|8.1 Best Bitter [BJCP 11B]||8.2 American Amber Ale [BJCP 19A]||8.3 Altbier [BJCP 7B]|
|8.4 California Common [BJCP 19B]||8.5 Strong Bitter [BJCP 11C]||9.1 Irish Red Ale [BJCP 15A]|
|9.2 Scottish Export [BJCP 14C]||9.3 Kentucky Common; Historical Beer [BJCP 27]||9.4 British Brown Ale [BJCP 13B]|
|9.5 American Brown Ale [BJCP 19C]||10.1 English Porter [BJCP 13C]||10.2 Pre-Prohibition Porter; Historical Beer [BJCP 27]|
|10.3 American Porter [BJCP 20A]||10.4 Baltic Porter [BJCP 9C]||11.1 Sweet Stout [BJCP 16A]|
|11.2 Irish Stout [BJCP 15B]||11.3 Oatmeal Stout [BJCP 16B]||11.4 Irish Extra Stout [BJCP 15C]|
|12.1 Tropical Stout [BJCP 16C]||12.2 Foreign Extra Stout [BJCP 16D]||12.3 American Stout [BJCP 20B]|
|12.4 Imperial Stout [BJCP 20C]||13.1 Weissbier [BJCP 10A]||13.2 Witbier [BJCP 24A]|
|13.3 American Wheat Beer [BJCP 1D]||13.4 Lichtenhainer; Historical Beer [BJCP 27]||13.5 Dunkles Weissbier [BJCP 10B]|
|13.6 Roggenbier; Historical Beer [BJCP 27]||13.7 Weizenbock [BJCP 10C]||13.8 Wheatwine [BJCP 22D]|
|14.1 Saison [BJCP 25B]||14.2 Bière de Garde [BJCP 24C]||14.3 Belgian Dubbel [BJCP 26B]|
|14.4 Belgian Single [BJCP 26A]||14.5 Belgian Tripel [BJCP 26C]||14.6 Belgian Golden Strong Ale [BJCP 25C]|
|14.7 Belgian Dark Strong Ale [BJCP 26D]||15.1 Helles Bock [BJCP 4C]||15.2 Dunkles Bock [BJCP 6C]|
|15.3 Doppelbock [BJCP 9A]||15.4 Eisbock [BJCP 9B]||15.5 Wee Heavy [BJCP 17C]|
|15.6 British Strong Ale [BJCP 17A]||15.7 Old Ale [BJCP 17B]||15.8 English Barleywine [BJCP 17D]|
|15.9 American Strong Ale [BJCP 22B]||15.10 American Barleywine [BJCP 22C]||15.11 Sahti; Historical Beer [BJCP 27]|
|16.1 Gose [BJCP 23G]||16.2 Lambic [BJCP 23D]||16.3 Gueuze [BJCP 23E]|
|16.4 Fruit Lambic [BJCP 23F]||16.5 Straight Sour Beer [BJCP 28D]||16.6 Flanders Red Ale [BJCP 23B]|
|16.7 Oud Bruin [BJCP 23C]||16.8 Brett Beer [BJCP 28A]||16.9 Mixed-Fermentation Sour Beer [BJCP 28B]|
|16.10 Wild Specialty Beer [BJCP 28C]||17.1 Fruit Beer [BJCP 29A]||17.2 Fruit and Spice Beer [BJCP 29B]|
|17.3 Specialty Fruit Beer [BJCP 29C]||17.4 Grape Ale [BJCP 29D]||17.5 Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer [BJCP 30A]|
|17.6 Autumn Seasonal Beer [BJCP 30B]||17.7 Winter Seasonal Beer [BJCP 30C]||17.8 Specialty Spice Beer [BJCP 30D]|
|18.1 Classic Style Smoked Beer [BJCP 32A]||18.2 Specialty Smoked Beer [BJCP 32B]||18.3 Wood-Aged Beer [BJCP 33A]|
|18.4 Specialty Wood-Aged Beer [BJCP 33B]||18.5 Alternative Grain Beer [BJCP 31A]||18.6 Alternative Sugar Beer [BJCP 31B]|
|18.7 Experimental Beer [BJCP 34C]||18.8 Commercial Specialty Beer [BJCP 34A]||18.9 Mixed-Style Beer [BJCP 34B]|
|19.1 Dry Mead [BJCP M1A]||19.2 Semi-Sweet Mead [BJCP M1B]||19.3 Sweet Mead [BJCP M1C]|
|19.4 Cyser [BJCP M2A]||19.5 Pyment [BJCP M2B]||19.6 Berry Mead [BJCP M2C]|
|19.7 Stone Fruit Mead [BJCP M2D]||19.8 Melomel [BJCP M2E]||19.9 Fruit and Spice Mead [BJCP M3A]|
|19.10 Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Mead [BJCP M3B]||19.11 Braggot [BJCP M4A]||19.12 Historical Mead [BJCP M4B]|
|19.13 Experimental Mead [BJCP M4C]||20.1 New World Cider [BJCP C1A]||20.2 English Cider [BJCP C1B]|
|20.3 French Cider [BJCP C1C]||20.4 New World Perry [BJCP C1D]||20.5 Traditional Perry [BJCP C1E]|
|20.6 New England Cider [BJCP C2A]||20.7 Cider with Other Fruit [BJCP C2B]||20.8 Applewine [BJCP C2C]|
|20.9 Ice Cider [BJCP C2D]||20.10 Cider with Herbs/Spices [BJCP C2E]||20.11 Specialty Cider/Perry [BJCP C2F]|
Number of Bottles Required Per Entry: 3
Judging Sessions and Dates
Best of Show
The Best of Show judging will be determined by a Best of Show panel based on a second judging of the top winners.
Winners of First, Second and Third in each Category will be awarded with gold, silver or bronze medals respectively.
To determine awards where more than one (1) class or subclass is involved, a separate system of selection will determine the place winners.
The top four (4) scoring entries only, from an Entrant will be used to calculate the “Best Brewer”. The Brewer must enter a minimum of four (4) eligible entries.
The “Best Beer” will be determined through the judging panel “Best of Show”.
The beer that wins “Best of Show” (BOS) is not necessarily the beer that scored the highest in the competition as the BOS uses a different process.
Awards will be announced at the Awards Presentation on Friday 8th September 2023. Invitations and ticket sales will be available through Eventbrite/WASABC 2023 Facebook page. Award winners will be notified via email after the Awards Presentation to which medals they have been awarded.
Award winners are expected to collect their award(s) or arrange for the collection by their Agent at the Awards Presentation or Exhibitors Tasting. If WASABC is required to post medals, trophies or prizes, this will be at the participant’s expense.
Northbridge Brewing Company
44 Lake St, Northbridge WA 6003
Friday 8 September, 2023 4:00 PM, AWST